Terii’s Cycling Babble

He’s Home!
February 6, 2015, 7:46 am
Filed under: Misc

And fingers crossed it’s for a long while.

5 days. That’s how long poor fuzzy was at the hospital.

The staff was very nice about calling me every day, generally between 1 and 2 pm to give me an update. I dropped off batches of boiled reindeer a couple times since they didn’t want to shock his already distressed system by a sudden food change. I decided it was best to not visit him. If I did that, he’d only have wound himself up, thinking he was getting to come home only to have his hopes dashed.

By Tuesday evening, I was starting to worry that maybe he wouldn’t be coming home at all. Thankfully the vets managed to get some kind of control. They put him through a battery of tests. The ultrasound found nothing abnormal (Loke looks quite odd with a shaved belly). They did some kind of test for inflammation values. Normal is 7, Loke’s were 51. His folic acid levels were off. Something slightly off with his liver values, but they determined that it’s working as it should. He had the specialists scratching their collective heads.

So, they kept him hooked to an IV so he’d stay hydrated and something for nausea. Wednesday, I finally got the call they would like to discharge him as they’ve gotten him stable and he’s acting like there’s not a thing wrong in the world with him. I gave them some time to process paper work and rushed off to get him.

I didn’t have much of a wait before I was admitted into something like an exam room. The vet there was a very nice man who had finished his basic degree and was sort of interning around to decide if he wanted to specialize. I joked about Loke being a good oddity to show students. He laughed, saying the specialists had hogged him to themselves. Then he gave me a rundown of everything. He warned me that Loke had a bit of a raw spot on the top of his nose.

Apparently, bored out of his mind, Loke amused himself with the only thing available to him. Blankets. So, he’d shred the blanket in the bottom of his cage and then push the pieces around and around with his nose. They’d clean it up and were too kind to leave Loke without something soft to lay on and he’d start over with the new blanket. So, all the nosing around left a shallow wound. He went through something like 6 blankets.

The vet then went to get Loke.

He blasted in like a force of nature. My fuzzy buddy was insane with joy to see me. He was even jumping up to lick my face. Loke is not, nor ever has been, a face licker. I hugged him and petted him. The vet smiled. He told me that Loke was one of the best behaved dogs he’d ever seen (except for blanket destruction). No matter what they wanted to do to him, he’d just let them. No struggling, no aggression, just unhappy resignation and quick to forgive when they were done.

Loke's first walk after the hospital

Loke’s first walk after the hospital

Then Loke got a bit bossy. His ears took that devilish angle and he started hooking his claws into my sleeve to pull at me. Even left a scratch on my arm. I was shocked. The vet grinned as I pushed Loke away and made him lay down. Then he started woofing, but that was better than clawing at me.

I felt pretty happy as we drove away, me heading directly to the city forest. Loke was still highly wound up. 5 days of cage rest did not agree with his mental state. He let loose a few soul-rending howls.

He was so happy to bound through the snow as we set out along some of the paths through the woods. I felt even better when he went potty and it was fairly normal. It might have been part of the reason he was so rude during check-out as we’d barely gone 50 yards.

Of course, I couldn’t walk very long.  It would have been easier if I’d stuck to the major paths which had been plowed, graveled and well traveled into icey, flat surfaces. I preferred to be away from the milling masses and many, many other dogwalkers. So, for us it was smaller trails and bridle paths.

My relief didn’t last very long. Shortly after the first time, he went again and it was loose. I stopped and considered taking him right back to the hospital. He stood there, waiting for me to move again. Ears up and eyes bright as he wagged his tail in his cutest, ‘We walk more! Please?’ expression. That look combined with the orange bandage, shaved tummy and sore nose, I just couldn’t do it. I had medication for him.

If he wasn’t suffering and it didn’t get any worse, I’d simply keep him as happy as I could while he medicated. At least until his nose got better. Taking him back to cage rest after so short a walk was just too cruel.

The deer were in the open on other side of the snow draped fence.

The deer were in the open on other side of the snow draped fence.

We started the turn back toward the parking lot, me wading through about 6 inches of churned snow. We were approaching an open area, bordered by Swedish traditional rail fencing and trees. Loke found something to sniff and I stopped to let him have his fill. Beyond the fences and in the open. Something moved. A deer.

It seemed to see us, freezing and looking in our direction through the trees. Loke was oblivious. Then the deer flashed it’s tail and trotted off toward the trees around the old quarry pits as I fumbled in my coat pocket for my iPhone. Another bounded in its wake, and still one more. 5 deer pranced and jumped through the snowy clearing while I struggled to get my phone out for a picture. I was too slow and the deer too fast. Still it was so neat! Loke didn’t look up from whatever smell had his attention until it was too late.

He was a little disappointed when the walk was over so soon, but he was only slightly a pest once we got home. By the evening, he was back to his happy self as I went out for frequent little walks around the block.

He’s still on medication and I still worry at the gurgling of his tummy, but just trying to take one day at a time. At least he’s home and happy for now. Fingers crossed it lasts!

Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: