Terii’s Cycling Babble

Random Acts of Kindness and Encounters!
April 27, 2009, 10:42 am
Filed under: Day Rides

Though I’ve been getting out on my trike this year since March 21, this is obviously my first post about a day ride that is not only exploring new ground, but building Loke and I up for touring.  Sorry, no pictures yet.  My husband ran off with my digital camera to Detroit.

I woke up at 5 am this morning. The sun was peeking over the horizon and I thought I wanted to get an early start to save Loke some of the heat of the sun. Once I took Loke for his ‘business’ walk, all the Oomph just went out of me.  It took me an hour and a half to get dressed and start wrestling the trike out the door.

Finally, around 7 am, Loke and I finally moved out.  In all honesty, we weren’t moving very fast.  I’m a slow cyclist and always have been.  Granted, Loke makes me go slower, but 5.8 to 6.0 mph average is poky even for us.  My solo mph average is around 9.8 to 10.1 (cursed hills) and Loke’s usual mph average for a 15+ mile trip is around 7.5, though a few times this year he’s managed 8.2.  So, yeah.  He was being slow and I wasn’t do anything to speed him up.  Just a lazy outing for us.

We’d been out for around an hour and a half with just a few stops to let Loke drink some water and one good brush down that left enough fur behind to pack a decorative sofa pillow.  That certainly made the nesting birds in the area quite happy.  A black car passed from behind me.  I didn’t think anything of it, cars pass me all the time.  Less than 2 minutes later, it passed again from in front.  Again, it was one of those roads that goes kinda no-where so maybe he had just forgotten something at home and had to go back and get it before going back out to work.  About 20 minutes later, it passed me from behind again.  Now that made my skin prickle.

My old “conditioned in the US by numerous stalkers” wariness went up a further notch when the car pulled part way into a driveway at the top of the hill I was creeping up.  I watched cautiously as the driver sat there for a couple minutes as I continued my very slow climb of the hill.  As I got closer,  he got out.  He was around 50 years old and wearing a pair of work coveralls and he gave a friendly wave with something clutched in his hand.  I stopped and gave a smile and a nod as he stepped closer to the trike and smiled at Loke.  Then he asked if I needed some doggie socks for my dog as he showed me what he was holding.

He had several pairs of bright blue dog booties, home made from old jogging pants and velcro strips.  I was able to make out even with my still poor Swedish that he had seen me with Loke and thought I might need the booties, so had gone home to get some and then came back out to find me.  He had three huskies of his own.  He asked the usual sort of questions as he even put them on Loke.  How old was he?  How far were we going today?  How often did I go out with him?  Then he gave Loke a few more pats before saying goodbye and driving off.  I watched him go with a warm fuzzy sense of bemusement and a renewed sense of hope in humanity.

After that, Loke and I both went a bit quicker.  For Loke though, I think he was trying to escape from the bright blue, flapping cloth bags stuck on his feet.

We went on a bit further and took a new turn to explore a bit of a new area.  I found a small stream that I could get down to and let Loke play in the water for about 15 minutes.  We spotted a pair of hares ripping across a field.  That got the furball moving as he really wanted to go play with the bunnies.  I came to a cross-road and decided to turn back there, but I think the area has a lot of promise for new spaces to explore on several more trips.

I worked my back into town and had another surprise as I was sitting at a traffic light.  A cyclist came up on my left and waved.  He was one of the more serious sort of riders.  Clad in full racing gear and on a pretty nice road bike.  I thought I recognized him and it was confirmed when he suddenly asked hadn’t we met last year at Skuttunge church?  Around June of 2008, I had stopped at the church to eat a little fruit when the man and two of his friends spotted me and stopped to ask about the trike.  I didn’t have Loke with me at the time as it was 50 mile ride in 85 degree temps.  We had talked for over half an hour.

It was nice to see someone I’d met before like that.  He waved and said ‘Nice dog!’ as the lights changed and I moved on.

So, it was one of those nice and unusual rides.  I’ve had a few rides like that which are different and memorable more for the people I meet than for the places I see.  I really enjoy those times.


Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: